DRIVING WITH SUSPENDED LICENSE CHARGES
Pennsylvania imposes very harsh penalties for those who drive with a suspended license or a revoked license. There are two types of charges that apply: Driving While Operating Privilege is Suspended or Revoked, Non-DUI and DUI Related.
DRIVING WHILE OPERATING PRIVILEGE IS SUSPENDED DUI RELATED
The charge for Driving on a Suspended License DUI Related is found under Section 1543B of the Vehicle Code. If you were caught driving while your license was suspended because of a DUI, even if the DUI occurred months or years ago, you are facing severe penalties, which include:
- Mandatory 60-day jail sentence and maximum jail sentence of up to 90 days
- $500 fine plus court costs
- A 12-month license suspension and possible classification as a habitual offender, which leads to a 5 year additional suspension if convicted of three serious traffic offenses within 5 years
DRIVING WHILE OPERATING PRIVILEGE IS SUSPENDED, NON-DUI RELATED
Driving on a Suspended License for Non-DUI related reasons also carries serious penalties, including:
- First Offense: $200 fine, suspension of 1 year, additional revocation of 2 years if your license was revoked at the time of the offense.
- Second through Fifth Offense: $200 to $1,000 fine, jail time of up to 6 months.
- Sixth or Subsequent Offense: Mandatory $1,000 fine, mandatory 30 days in jail with potential jail sentence of up to 6 months.
HOW CAN THE ZUCKERMAN LAW FIRM HELP ME?
If you were charged with Driving a Suspended License, there may be alternatives available to you, including:
- House arrest with permission for work release instead of jail time;
- Reduction of charge to Driving Without a License, eliminating all jail time and reducing suspension to either 0 or 6 months depending on prior record
- Reduction of charge to Failure to Exhibit License Upon Demand, eliminating all jail time and license suspensions
As you will see from our Results page, our firm has had success keeping clients out of jail, and in some cases, negotiating a reduction of charges to traffic offenses carrying no jail time or license suspension. Call us today at 412-447-5580 for a free case evaluation.