PITTSBURGH DUI LAWYER
Whether it's one drink too many or a night of excess, Driving Under the Influence charges can impact your freedom, job opportunities and family relationships. Even a First Offense DUI carries mandatory jail time, license suspension and fines.
Whether it's your 1st DUI Offense or you are a 2nd DUI or Repeat DUI Offender, your first call should be to an attorney who has experience prosecuting and defending these cases in Western PA. Attorney David Zuckerman of the Zuckerman Law Firm LLC once prosecuted DUI cases for the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office, and uses this experience to defend clients throughout Western PA. He is a member of the National College of DUI Defense and is a 10 Best for Client Satisfaction award winner from the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys.
SEVERE PENALTIES FOLLOW A DUI CONVICTION
Although the repercussions associated with a DUI case are problematic, hiring the best legal representation you can afford makes a huge difference. If you are found driving under the influence of alcohol over .08%, or have illegal or prescription drugs in your system, you may face a series of short and long-term consequences, including:
- Mandatory jail time, ranging from a few days in the county jail to several years in state prison
- License suspensions ranging from 0 to 18 months, possibly longer depending on the number of priors and whether or not the offender refused testing
- A permanent criminal record that can never be expunged, and only sealed under limited circumstances with the help of an attorney
- Probation ranging from months up to 5 years
- Having an ignition interlock device installed in your vehicle
- Court costs and mandatory fines
- Increase in auto insurance rates or a possible cancellation of insurance, due to being a riskier driver than those with clean records
- Loss of career opportunities, as current or future employers can review your background check
- Loss of professional licensure for those in medical, legal, academic and related fields
- Loss of commercial driving privileges for 1 year for a first offense and lifetime for a second offense
- Disciplinary action for college or graduate students who receive a DUI conviction.
Repeat DUI offenders face more severe penalties than 1st Offense DUI offenders. Our office can analyze the specific penalties you are facing on your case during our initial consultation.
HOW CAN A DUI ATTORNEY HELP MY CASE?
An experienced Pittsburgh DUI Attorney can help walk you through the legal system for DUI cases, including your preliminary hearing, formal arraignment, pre-trial conference, trials and appeals. Attorney David Zuckerman has been successful in helping clients throughout Western Pennsylvania avoid serving time in jail. Even when the case against you is strong, Attorney Zuckerman will work diligently to minimize consequences in any plea agreement, including:
- Acceptance into the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program for first-time offenders or the Phoenix Court program for 2nd time offenders.
- House Arrest instead of jail.
- Alternative Housing instead of jail.
- Work Release from Jail.
- DUI Court for 3rd Time Offenders
POSSIBLE DUI DEFENSES
Never assume that you are guilty of DUI because you drank alcohol or had drugs in your system. A skilled DUI attorney will fight for a not-guilty verdict by challenging the evidence offered against you in many ways, including:
- Attacking weak eyewitness testimony through skillful cross-examination.
- Police lacked probable cause to arrest you or reasonable suspicion to stop your vehicle.
- Police stopped your vehicle at an illegal DUI checkpoint
- Police get your blood test results and medical information from the hospital without a valid search warrant.
- Police take statements from you in violation of your Miranda rights.
- Medical symptoms (allergies, difficulty walking) are misinterpreted as evidence of your intoxication.
- Use of Field Sobriety Tests that are not approved by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- The officer does not properly administer the Field Sobriety Tests in accordance with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration guidelines.
- The improper collection, storage, and transfer of blood evidence to the crime lab.
- The crime lab fails to follow proper operational procedures.
- Inaccurate scientific principles used by experts to calculate your blood alcohol content.
- Inaccurate breath tests due to alcohol and airbag particles in your mouth, burping, vomiting, and acid reflux.
- The failure to properly watch you for a 20-minute period before your breath test.
- The failure to properly calibrate and maintain breath testing machines as required by law.
- The use of simulator solution that does not comply with Pennsylvania Regulations.
WHAT TYPE OF CASES DOES THE ZUCKERMAN LAW FIRM TAKE?
Every type. Whether it's a routine traffic stop, an allegation of fleeing an eluding, or a DUI accident that causes death or debilitating injuries to others, the Zuckerman Law Firm LLC takes DUI and auto cases of all varieties, including:
- Homicide by Vehicle While DUI.
- Homicide by Vehicle.
- Involuntary Manslaughter.
- Fleeing and Eluding While DUI and Non-DUI.
- DUI With Injuries & Aggravated Assault while DUI
- DUI with Refusal of Blood or Breath Test.
- DUI with BAC from .08% and Above.
- DUI for Minors with BAC of .02% and Above.
- First Offense DUI Cases
- 2nd Offense DUI & Repeat DUI Cases
- Accident with Attended and Unattended Vehicles.
- DUI with Accident Offenses
- Driving While License Suspended: .02% and Above, DUI Related and Non-DUI Related.
- Reckless and Careless Driving.
- Underage Drinking.
- All Traffic Offenses and Citations.
Don't wait. Call us today at 412-447-5580 for a free, confidential consultation on your DUI case.