PITTSBURGH DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT INJURY LAWYERS
Western Pennsylvania has one of the highest rates of drunk driving in the nation. At the Zuckerman Law Firm, we represent those injured in automobile and pedestrian collisions caused by drunk drivers, helping them to maximize their financial recovery.
If you, a friend or loved one are injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, call the Zuckerman Law Firm today at 412-447-5580 for a free case evaluation.
CIVIL AND CRIMINAL PENALTIES FOR DRUNK DRIVERS
If you are injured at the hands of a drunk driver, you may be confused as to what role the courts play in your case. There are two types of penalties that may apply for drunk drivers - criminal and civil penalties.
THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM FOR DRUNK DRIVERS
Those accused of injuring others as a result of a drunk driving case may be prosecuted for various criminal violations, including but not limited to: Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Aggravated Assault by DUI, Homicide by Vehicle, Homicide by Vehicle While DUI, and Involuntary Manslaughter.
In the criminal justice system, a local police department investigates the case and an Assistant District Attorney is assigned to prosecute the case against the drunk driver. The ADA will contact you to discuss what happened during the incident, and may serve you with a subpoena to attend various court proceedings. If convicted of criminal charges, the drunk driver may face jail time, license suspensions and other consequences.
At the Zuckerman Law Firm, we accompany our clients injured in drunk driving accidents to all relevant court proceedings, and serve as your liaison with the police and District Attorney's office.
THE CIVIL SYSTEM FOR DRUNK DRIVERS
The civil justice system allows personal injury victims to sue drunk drivers who cause their injuries. With the assistance of a dedicated drunk driving accident lawyer, you can pursue financial compensation from the driver's insurance company to recover for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses incurred as a result of your injuries.
At the Zuckerman Law Firm, our dedicated personal injury trial lawyers handle all negotiations with the insurance companies with a goal of getting you the compensation you deserve. When the insurance companies won't budge, we file all necessary legal paperwork and handle your case from arbitration all the way through trial.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPENSATING ME FOR MY INJURIES?
Drunk driving accident cases are complex and required the assistance of a skilled drunk driving accident lawyer to pursue as many sources of recovery as possible. If you are injured at the hands of a drunk driver, you can pursue recovery from various parties, including:
- The Drunk Driver: You can go after his or her personal assets and compensation from his insurance company
- The Drunk Driver's Employer: If the drunk driver was driving a company car, or was working at the time of the accident, the employer may be liable for the drunk driver's actions.
- Bars & Restaurants: If the drunk driver was visibly intoxicated, and a bartender continued to serve this person drinks, the bar may be liable under a Dram Shop action.
- Party Hosts: If a person gets drunk at a party, leaves the scene, and causes a drunk driving accident, the host may be held responsible individual and through their insurance policy.
- Serving Alcohol to Minors: If a minor is provided alcohol by another, the person who provided the alcohol may be held liable for damages.
HOW THE ZUCKERMAN LAW FIRM CAN HELP
The personal injury trial lawyers at the Zuckerman Law Firm have unique experience helping clients navigate through the criminal and civil justice systems. We have comprehensive experience analyzing drunk driving cases from all angles:
- Personal Injury Practice: We have helped our clients injured in drunk driving accidents fight to maximize recovery from as many sources as possible;
- Prosecution Practice: As former criminal prosecutors, we have prosecuted drunk drivers for violation of the PA Crimes and Motor Vehicle Codes, working with police officers, state troopers, and accident reconstructionists.
- Criminal Defense Practice: As criminal defense lawyers, we have also defended those accused of DUI charges, and understand how the insurance companies will try and attack your case.
When you hire the Zuckerman Law Firm to handle your case, you get the personal attention of a small firm coupled with the comprehensive experience needed to win your case. Call us today at 412-447-5580 for a free case evaluation.